Wealthy, dense, and creamy, this chess pie recipe is a Southern basic and a scrumptious favourite!
A flaky pie crust is crammed with a creamy custard with a skinny crisp prime layer.
Do-it-yourself Chess Pie
- The jury is out on the true origin of the Chess pie, however two theories are that it may be made with no matter’s within the “chest” (pantry) which advanced to be “chess” or it was whipped up by a curious baker and referred to as it “simply pie.” Both method, this creamy, dreamy basic is a keeper!
- Make chess pie as much as a day upfront and chill till able to serve! The wealthy flavors will simply get higher!
- Simply combine, fill, and bake! Chess pie is as simple as…effectively, pie!
Components for Chess Pie
Pie Crust – Use a ready-made pie crust or make this recipe and freeze the second crust for later.
Filling – Many chess pie recipes use buttermilk, however few house cooks preserve it readily available. This model makes use of cream and vinegar which bakes and tastes like a buttermilk custard. Even milk can be utilized as a substitute of cream.
Variations – Attempt utilizing a graham cracker crust, or a cookie crust with Oreo or Nilla Wafers. Add ¼ cup of cocoa in Step 4 to make a chocolate chess pie. Combine in some toasted coconut or lemon juice with a bit zest for a tropical chess pie.
Toppings – High chocolate chess pie with some chocolate shavings, cookie crumbs, whipped cream, or powdered sugar. Contemporary blueberries, sliced strawberries, and slivered almonds add taste and visible attraction to Chess pie.
How one can Make Chess Pie
- Blind bake the pie crust per recipe instructions under.
- Whisk sugar and melted butter in a bowl. Stir in remaining components till easy.
- Pour filling into the crust and bake till the pie is about.
- Cool the pie utterly earlier than garnishing and serving.
PRO TIP: Chess pie is finished when the highest is crackly and glossy like a brownie.
Storing Chess Pie
- For finest outcomes, preserve leftover Chess pie coated within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- As soon as the pie is chilled agency, freeze the entire pie or slices in plastic wrap then in zippered baggage for as much as 3 months.
- Thaw slices within the fridge or at room temperature till able to take pleasure in!
- Heat slices within the microwave, if desired.
Did your loved ones take pleasure in this Chess Pie? Remember to depart a score and a remark under!
Chess Pie is a Southern basic dessert made with easy components.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie shell and with a fork, poke the crust in a number of locations to permit steam to flee. Place a bit of parchment paper within the shell and fill it with pie weights or dry beans.
Bake the crust for five minutes. Take away the weights and parchment and bake for an extra 3 minutes.
In the meantime, in a medium bowl, whisk sugar and melted butter. Add the eggs, cream, cornmeal, vinegar, flour, vanilla, and salt. Whisk till easy. Pour the filling into the ready crust.
Place the pie within the oven and instantly scale back the oven temperature to 325°F. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes or till the pie is about.
Cool utterly on a baking rack earlier than reducing, about 2 hours.
Energy: 412 | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 22g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7g | Trans Fats: 0.5g | Ldl cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 549IU | Vitamin C: 0.04mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg
Diet info supplied is an estimate and can range primarily based on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.